A Mary Sue is a fictional character in fanfiction (mostly in fan fiction, a perojative form and one of ficiton) who is lacking flaws (being perfect), over-idealized, unrealistic, and acts as a wish-fulfillment fantasy for the author. The practice of writing a character as a Mary Sue is almost universally looked down upon and considered one of the worst traps a writer can fall into. Many Mary Sues are self-insertions.
Note that all examples are highly subjective and in some cases controversial.
- Dagny Taggart from Atlas Shrugged.
- DJ Croft, from Neon Exodus Evangelion.
- Marissa Picard, from the works of Stephen Ratliff.
- Wesley Crusher, from Star Trek: The Next Generation.
- Bella Swan from "Twilight".
- Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way, from My Immortal.